Sunday, February 4, 2018

A Cynic's Guide to Children's Clothes

Photo by Nina Snyder
Usually, I enjoy shopping for children's clothes -- except around Valentine's Day. Something about the forced symphony of pink hearts and cloying phrases brings out my cynical side, which has been more or less held in check by the hormonal rush of motherhood.

As I wandered through the aisles of Target, this Minnie Mouse number caught my eye. "Perfect Match" is emblazoned across a T-shirt featuring Mickey and Minnie Mouse.

But are they a perfect match? They are the same species: cartoon mouse. However, they have been dating since shortly after their introduction as cartoons in 1928. Basically they have been dating for around 90 years without getting married.

I would say it's time for Minnie to kick Mickey to the curb. Is there a T-shirt which reads "Dating for 90 years means he's a commitment-phobe" out there? No? Not a best-seller, I suppose.

Another pair of girls sweatpants proclaimed "Love Conquers All," on which I again beg to differ. Sometimes geography conquers all. Sometimes jealousy conquers all. Sometimes illness conquers all.

Perhaps it could be changed to "Sometimes love conquers all, but sometimes it just helps you through a rough patch." Again, perhaps too long for sweatpants. But it could set up little girls for more realistic expectations.

On the other hand, boys clothes seem to have a variety of cheeky phrases that don't revolve around love. A boys T-shirt with Darth Vader proclaims "I need my space." I can get behind that one.

I fondly remember the wave of NASA T-shirts for both boys and girls last year. Can we just do "I need my space" for both genders and leave love out of it?

Nina Snyder is the author of ABCS OF BALLS and the designer of the HOT PINK ORCHARD JOURNAL. Follow her on Twitter @nsnyder_writer.

1 comment:

  1. Funny. Funny. Love that under your watch Minnie is single again. Haaaaaaa!

    Holly Winter

    ReplyDelete