Friday, November 17, 2017

Across the Mom Divide

Image from Pixabay
Two months ago, I returned to work full-time for the first time after having my children -- which I hope excuses my recent lack of attention to this blog. I sometimes feel like I don't have time to finish a sentence, let alone a blog post.

The last time I worked full-time in an office, I was a single lady with not even a cat to command my attention.

I remember feeling jealous of the married ladies who would chat about their kitchen remodels and weekend outings with their families. I wanted to come home every night to  a loving husband and adoring children.

Fast forward a decade, and now I'm jealous of the fresh-faced young women who can wear pants without an elastic waist. The lovely singletons jaunt off to the mountains without advance planning, and can go to happy hour on a whim. They can even -- wait for it -- sleep past 7 a.m. on a weekend!

The mom divide is real, but it's partly my fault. The easiest way to make small talk with another woman is to ask about her children. I honestly don't care if another woman has children or not, but I know that I can offer up enough anecdotes about my children to keep the conversation going.

Perhaps as women, we need to agree on some acceptable topics for small talk that don't revolve around our families. For example, women don't chat about sports to break the ice, even in Broncos country. Men can just strike up a conversation about quarterbacks, and they're off and running for a good 10 minutes at least.

Politics are verboten at most offices, so that leaves the weather. I live in Denver, so that consists of whether it's going to snow sooner -- or later. What do you think? Do you have any good topics for small talk that span the mom divide?

Nina Snyder is the author of ABCS OF BALLS and the designer of the HOT PINK ORCHARD JOURNAL. Follow her on Twitter @nsnyder_writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment