Saturday, April 14, 2018

Developing Calluses for Parenting

Photo by Nina Snyder

I recently started teaching myself the acoustic guitar. After scoring a $100 used guitar from Craig's List, I sat down and practiced every day for a week, until my fingertips were tender. Eventually, second thoughts starting creeping in as I winced every time I tried to play a note.

Is this going to hurt every time I play the guitar?
Can I return a guitar I bought from the backseat of a Kia?
Am I going to be as bad at the guitar as I was at the violin?

Finally, after a couple of weeks, I developed calluses on the pads of the fingers of my left hand. I showed my husband proudly, making him feel the toughness at the tips of my fingers. Now I can play guitar to my heart's content.

Now that my children are older, I feel like I have finally developed calluses for parenting. If they're crying inconsolably after 8 p.m., I don't try to analyze the cause of their distress. I just put them to bed.

If the children don't want to eat my home-microwaved meals, I don't dig through the cabinets searching for a delicious meal they will accept instead. I just tell them they're going to be hungry later.

There's still a few situations I haven't developed calluses for, including any situations involving actual bloodshed. Also, when I unexpectedly find them holding hands, my heart also still melts into a puddle.

What are some of your parenting calluses? Let me know in the comments section.

Nina Snyder is the author of ABCS OF BALLS and the designer of the HOT PINK ORCHARD JOURNAL. Follow her on Twitter @nsnyder_writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment